Saturday, February 7, 2015

Sketching Lesson

                             Several times at the YT Asilomar Haiku Retreat,                 jhhymas
Carolyn Fitz has given us lessons 
in sketching with the Pilot Parallel Pen. 
I think this was the first one. 
Look at how we are paying attention!
Since then, many of us delight in using this sketching tool.
Here, I  was trying the experiment of photographing a group using a fisheye lens;
I did manage to include a lot of dear friends, some of them now gone.


a real summer downpour
the writing brush never drying
for a thousand words

Buson

a hundred day summer training period
my mind is steady
my inkstone does not hesitate

Buson

Copying sutras in my summer retreat
I use my writing brushes
to count the days

Buson

The classic Japanese haiku poet Buson (1716-1783) 
was also renowned as a painter and calligrapher. 
Here are some of his haiku on that topic from 
Collected Haiku of Yosa Buson; 
translated by W. S. Merwin and Takako Lento, 
Copper Canyon Press, 2013.



No comments:

Post a Comment