Saturday, February 7, 2015

Sketching Lesson

                             Several times at the YT Asilomar Haiku Retreat,                 jhhymas
Carolyn Fitz has given us lessons 
in sketching with the Pilot Parallel Pen. 
I think this was the first one. 
Look at how we are paying attention!
Since then, many of us delight in using this sketching tool.
Here, I  was trying the experiment of photographing a group using a fisheye lens;
I did manage to include a lot of dear friends, some of them now gone.


a real summer downpour
the writing brush never drying
for a thousand words

Buson

a hundred day summer training period
my mind is steady
my inkstone does not hesitate

Buson

Copying sutras in my summer retreat
I use my writing brushes
to count the days

Buson

The classic Japanese haiku poet Buson (1716-1783) 
was also renowned as a painter and calligrapher. 
Here are some of his haiku on that topic from 
Collected Haiku of Yosa Buson
translated by W. S. Merwin and Takako Lento, 
Copper Canyon Press, 2013.



No comments:

Post a Comment