Monday, March 30, 2015

Just for a moment

This is Ed Grossmith, on the day I first met him during the YT Ginko at Hakone Gardens.
I didn't know then that he was a GREAT photographer whose photos were featured 
on the cover of one of out most beautiful anthologies ever.
Nor did I know how much I would like this haiku,
which is one of my all-time favorites.   jhh

just for a moment
I really believed in you
flickering candle
   
Ed Grossmith
   
Scattered Acorns; Yuki Teikei Member's Anthology 2014,
edited by June Hopper Hymas, page 18.

Tonight's bonus, two translations of a Buson haiku:
                Shoku no hi o shoku ni utsusu ya haro no yu

Lighting one candle 
with another candle-- 
spring evening

Yosa Buson on Poemhunter.com


The light of a candle
is transferred to another candle--
spring twilight
  
Buson; translated by Edith Schiffert & Yuki Sawa

No comments:

Post a Comment